Monday, April 28, 2008

Living the over forty life


The fact that I have turned 41 reminded me that I'm not getting any younger, and I'm no longer a young lady but a spinster in the making. Yes, it's quite a shocking thing when you look at it that way. And maybe, its better that family or friends don't remember your birthday and you get less or no reminder at all with all the birthday wishes that you are growing older.

Oh well, I went through the phase of becoming a gawky teenager that I was and survived it well. I went through the phase of becoming a twenty something
and then a thirty something and I survived and turned out quite well. And yes, here I am navigating steadily into my forties and still single!!! Insecure? I think I am going through that process at the moment. I suppose it’s a choice I have to make as how to live my life. Live with a positive outlook or with a defeated mind? It’s all about choices!!! Currently being a youth worker with an organization that's reaching out to children and young people and the Christian community at large is a very positive learning experience for me. I've always sensed that to help in the work of building up a generation of God-fearing and loving young people has been the integral part of God's divine purpose for my life and to do exactly that at this juncture of my life is quite fulfilling!

Then there's all the new stuff I need to do...driving, studying again and etc. How I wish I don't' HAVE to do all these stuff especially at this age BUT it’s a necessity so again it’s a choice I have to make. After all I firmly believe that the older one gets life should be lived actively to avoid from being idle and sliding into the doldrums.

So, here's one for all the late bloomers in the entire world. We might be a little late than the rest but when we bloom, we bloom! At times how I wish I have a very 'intimate' friend that can weather it with me. It’s so much assuring to have someone who really knows you inside out just to provide that strong presence for you, listening and hearing you at the same time, without judging and condemning, giving direction to your heart and thoughts...

Well, I can almost hear the Holy Spirit whispering into my heart at this moment... “Well, that's one of the very reason I have been sent to you, Runa”. Thank you, my dearest Friend!

Oh Lord, give me the grace to grow old gracefully, becoming a better spinster and never a bitter one>Teach me to be happy with myself, never to compare or to wish that I am someone else and yet never be afraid to change what I can and be brave enough to embrace fully and thankfully what I will never be able to alter. Yes, life is still beautiful if God is the center of it, don't you think so?

No comments: